Tuesday, October 13, 2009

humor and communication




As of now my Hindi is limited to basic conversation and a few random (at times inappropriate) phrases. This, however, does not stop me from waving someone down and saying "Namaste, ap kaisi/e hei?" to them. This was how I even began my talk with a tailor who is now in the process of making me a kurta. English is prevalently spoken, but even then I try to respond in Hindi. The language school instructors are excellent, and are not afraid to share their humor. My daily exercise is the hike from where we stay, to the language school for study. Walking may not seem that intensive, but Mussoorie has its way of changing minds. Just a note, there's a gang of monkeys and langurs that are quite vicious in the morning. I made the mistake of making eye contact with one in particular and was approached. Granted I'm a city boy, but monkeys present an entirely different situation than I'm used to. I was saved by this super cool man who casually pretended he had a rock, and scared the monkey. I thanked him with my very much practiced "Namaste, ap kaise hei?!"
- Hand written September 13, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment